Wednesday, June 14

Review: The Beauty and the Beast

The Beauty and the Beast
Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve

Published By: Harper Design
Publication Date: January 31, 2017 (Deluxe Edition)
Original Publication Date: 1740
Date Read: May 15, 2017
Genre: Classic - Fairytale
Source: Bought
Format: Hardback
Pages: 208
photo AddtoGoodreads.png

From Goodreads:
MinaLima, the award-winning design studio behind the graphics for the Harry Potter film franchise and the creators of the illustrated Jungle Book and Peter Pan, reimagine the beloved French fairy tale The Beauty and the Beast in this deluxe unabridged edition illustrated with stunning full-color artwork and nine 3-D interactive features—published to coincide with the release of the blockbuster Disney live-action musical film starring Emma Watson, Ian McKellen, Josh Gad, Ewan McGregor, and Emma Thompson.

Generations of readers have been bewitched by the epic love story of a beautiful young girl imprisoned in the magical castle of a monstrous beast. Now, the classic fairy tale is brought to life in this spectacular illustrated edition as originally envisioned by Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve in 1740.

It is no surprise to anyone my love for the fairytale Beauty and the Beast. The original Disney animated movie came out the year I was born and I grew up loving it. One of my amazing friends gifted my this unabridged illustrated deluxe edition of the original The Beauty and the Beast fairytale for my birthday and I realised that as much as I adored this tale, I had never actually read the original. I loved The Beauty and the Beast so much and I loved reading the original and seeing where the tale we all know and love originated from.

The Beauty and the Beast is so vastly different from the well known Disney classic that we all know of today. Of course we have the similarities. The importance of a rose in the story, the story of a selfless girl falling in love with a hideous beast, but the rest of the events in this book you would never have guessed would belong in this beloved tale. I am not going to go into it as I want you all to go and read this for yourselves.

The Beauty and the Beast was originally published in 1740 and was then modified and re-released by someone else. I can totally understand why this edition was modified. I loved every moment but found myself really surprised that the ending we all know happened only half way through the book. You get so much more information such as the backstories of both Beauty and the Beast. These bits honestly I found a little tedious and boring. They went on for so long. They certainly weren't needed and it was definitely the right decision to re-release the book without these parts to make the story flow better.

It was such an amazing read to see where this incredible story originated from. I couldn't believe just how different it was and I really recommend any Beauty and the Beast fan to go and read this unabridged version. You won't really know what's going to happen due to the changes that were made after the release of this wonderful tale. I loved every moment of it and I absolutely plan on getting the other MinaLima fairytale books to experience. Their illustrations and interactive elements made this book all the more beautiful, special and magical. It's a definite must-read and necessary for any book collection.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when people talk to me
Leave me a comment